Ingleburne History

'Ingleburne' the property now occupied by the Penny's Hill cellar complex, was settled in 1846 by Thomas Overton and family, the property was first named 'Gedney'. In 1848, some twenty pupils attended a Dernier school established on the property by Henry Marshall Cox.

After profiting £1,500 at the Victorian goldfields in 1851, Thomas Goss, at one time the Postmaster, returned to McLaren Vale and applied his new found wealth to acquiring some of the district's best farming land. At first he leased a section of Thomas Overton's land before purchasing it on August 9th, 1854.

Renamed 'Ingleburne', Goss commissioned an elegant two-storey bluestone farmhouse, completed in 1855. Constructed by Charles Martlew, it has long been a district landmark and remained in the Goss and Rowland families continuously until 1998, when Tony Parkinson acquired the property from Keith Rowland, great-great-grandson of Thomas Goss.